The first Aston Martin was granted the irreverent nickname of 'Coal Scuttle', because of its upswept cowl, and it was the only car to be built until 1920, due to the Great War halting development.
'Coal Scuttle', which had already taken a Gold Medal in the 1919 London-Edinburgh Trial, made the marque's first race track appearance, when Martin took three second places and a fourth at the Junior Car Club May Meeting at Brooklands.
The 1486cc 'clover-leaf' three-seater road car and a two-seater that was to become the short-wheelbase racer 'Bunny', were the only two cars built during 1920. The company's first racing victory came the following year when Lionel Martin won a handicap race at Brooklands Meeting in the 'clover-leaf' prototype road car 'B2'.
Bamford & Martin's specialty was tuning up 10-hp 'Singer' light cars, with which Martin enjoyed success at the Aston Hill climb.
Clive Gallop and Count Louis Zborowski (L-R) were regular co-drivers of some of the very first Aston Martins - racing at the 1922 French Grand Prix together.
Coal Scuttle was last registered in 1928 - its whereabouts, or if it survived, is unknown
Lionel Martin decided to build a lively small car that demanded skilful handling of the gearbox
Among the many white knights to have rescued Aston Martin over the years, perhaps none was as romantic as Louis Zborowski. His £10,270 investment in Bamford & Martin in 1921 enabled the firm to meet its desperate need for a truly competitive power unit for international racing. He is chiefly remembered for his monster aero-engined 'Chitty-Bang-Bang' racers, fictionalised as 'Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang' by Ian Fleming.