Perhaps the most beautiful new car of the 1940s, the Aston Martin DB2 was the creation of Frank Feeley, a natural genius with an unerring sense of line and proportion. He had come to Aston Martin with the "Lagonda" marque, bought by David Brown for its twin-cam six-cylinder engine designed by a team led by W.O Bentley.
The production version of the DB2 was launched in April 1950. A true grand tourer, it was one of the few British cars of its day with a top speed in excess of 100mph.
The sleek lines of the DB2 prototype influenced the Italian stylists of the day. The first three DB2s raced at Le Mans in 1949; while the fourth experimental prototype was adopted by David Brown as his personal road car.
The DB2 design was considerably modified from the initial concept and had great headroom and a wider body, allowing three good friends to sit abreast for short journeys
Ground clearance had been reduced to 6.5 inches as the car was "intended for export to countries with properly surfaced road systems"
Engine2.6 litre Lagonda engine
Dimensions4130 x 1700 x 1360 mm
Circle Announced late in 1950, the DB2 drophead coupe was described as "a car of superlative performance and controllability" by Motor Sport, which tested the first production prototype under winter conditions over the New Year of 1951. Occasionally exceeding 100 mph on slippery roads, the magazine found the car's roadholding, steering and handling "quite out of the ordinary", yet commented that it had "such light controls that any 'bobby-soxer' would get the hang of it within a few miles". A total of 98 DB2 dropheads were built, with a small number of chassis being supplied to outside coachbuilders to be fitted with soft top bodywork.